A Primitive Methodist minister is recorded as preaching in Mollington in 1835, and the chapel in the photographs was built in the village in 1845. It thrived during the 1850s, 60s and 70s but declined in the first half of the 20th century. It closed in 1947 and was used by the Brethren from 1950 to 1969. In 2019 t is a private house called Old Chapel.
The 1846 Primitive Methodist magazine page 571 contains an account of the first anniversary services at the chapel.
“ Mollington.—The first anniversary for our chapel here was celebrated on June 7th and 8th, 1846. Three sermons were preached on the former day by Mr: C. Elford, from Oxford; and on the latter a tea-meeting and a public meeting were held: both were well attended, and the latter was powerfully addressed by various preachers. By the produce of those services we were enabled to pay our current expenses, besides some old debts, amounting to several pounds.”
Many thanks to Anne Langley for the pictures.
OS Map Ref SP 439474