Toot Baldon Primitive Methodist chapel

In the 1840 Primitive Methodist magazine, Samuel West tells us that he was one of the preachers at the opening of  a new chapel at Toot Baldon on Sunday October 27th 1839.  Sister Bugden from Farringdon also preached. The chapel stood between Toot Baldon and Marsh Baldon, but formally within the former parish.

The initial missionaries were met with hostility and one woman preacher was knocked to the ground by a stone hitting her head.  A man who hosted initial meetings in his house received notice to quit from his landlord and lost work amongst the local farmers.

Most of the land in the two villages belonged to Oxford University but one of the two other landowners offered part of his garden for a chapel, and a building 24′ by 20′ and 8′ to the wallplate was erected. It was built of framework, lathed and plastered and covered with slate, and cost (not quite complete) £67.8s.7d toward which they had collected nine pounds, thirteen shillings and eleven pence halfpenny.

The Victoria County History tells us the chapel was disused by 1887.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.