Witney Primitive Methodist chapel
40 Corn St, Witney OX28 6BS
Corn Street chapel in 2017 is in commercial use although it is very recognisably still a chapel.
The chapel was built in 1845. In 1869 a new chapel with 300 sittings was built in front of its predecessor on the site of the minister’s house, the old buildings being converted into a school room and vestry.
The chapel closed in 1957.
There is a good account of the development of Primitive Methodism in Witney in the Victoria County History, accessed through British History online; click here.
“That the group was based on Corn Street, a predominantly working-class area of mill workers, labourers, and small craftsmen, is probably not coincidental: in the 1860s the rector commented that the Primitives were doing ‘good among the lower classes’, though by the mid 19th century leading members also included small tradesmen and shopkeepers, among them grocers and butchers, a seedsman and florist, a fellmonger, and a wheelwright. “
Victoria County History, accessed 27th September 2017, through British History online at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol14/pp145-154#h3-0006