Wootton Primitive Methodist chapel
Wootton Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1858. Wootton was first missioned in March 1827, but a chapel was not built until 1858 on land formerly occupied by Mr Duffield’s cottage.
The new chapel measured 20′ x 16′ x 15′ high, was built of brick and stone. The total cost was around £120 of which they had raised £40, as required by the rules.
The opening services and tea meeting started on December 5th 1858. Preachers were Mr J Russell of Cheltenham, Mrs Jackson of Witney and the circuit ministers.
The occasion, and the background to it, are described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by T Jackson.
The Primitive Methodist chapel in Wootton (assuming we are dealing with the same Wootton – there are quite a few) is shown on the corner of Church Street and Castle Road on the 1898 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map, but by 1922 it is no longer labelled. On Google StreetView in 2011 there is a modern house in its place, although occupying the same footprint.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1859 page 169-170