Edinburgh Victoria Terrace Primitive Methodist chapel
3 VICTORIA TERRACE, BADEN-POWELL HOUSE
On April 1st 1866 a new Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in |Edinburgh’s Victoria Terrace. J Vaughan recounts the events in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Previously the society met in Phoenix Hall until they built the new chapel, schoolroom and minister’s house.. The total cost was £1,500 of which £930 had been raised. Joseph Fawcett (Sunderland) gave the glass. Preachers at the opening events included T Parsons (Whitehaven), S Brock, Rev James, John Holt Skinner and many more!
Raymond Ella has found a detailed description of the chapel when first built in The Builder, page 788, November 4th 1865.
It is now a listed building and a full description is on the Historic Environment Scotland website
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1866 pages 433-434
Historic Environment Scotland website accessed May 4th 2019 at: portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB47902
The Builder, page 788, November 4th 1865 accessed September 17th 2021 at: