Glasgow Primitive Methodist chapel
According to the Primitive Methodist magazine, the Primitive Methodists did not have a chapel in Glasgow until they laid the foundation stone of a new chapel on New Years’s Day in 1864, although they had been active and meeting in the city since 1827.
Where was this chapel and what happened to it? Is it one of those listed on the various Glasgow circuit plans elsewhere on this site?
This is the account:
“Glasgow Mission.—Laying the Foundation Stone of a New Chapel.—According to our “Connexional History” it is 37 years since our missionaries first visited Glasgow, but our friends have never been able to get a connexional chapel, consequently they have had the inconvenience of unsuitable and high rented Halls, from which they have often had to remove at a few months’ notice and the congregations have been scattered and hundreds have been lost to the Connexion for the want of a permanent place of worship.
When we came, twelve months ago, to this station, our friends at St. Rollox began to talk about a new chapel, and the Sabbath School commenced to collect. After a little looking about, we obtained connexional sanction, trustees, and a suitable piece of land. The foundation was laid, January 1st, 1864, by A. Mein, Esq., and the religious services were conducted by Revs. S. Hart, B. Kenny, T. Graham, and others.
The walls of the chapel are being built of stone 2 feet thick, 16 feet from the floor to the ceiling ; the size is 46 feet by 38, and the chapel will be properly lighted, seated, and ventilated.
The cost will be £522, towards which we have raised as follows, viz. :— Collected by the Sabbath school, including £10 given by Mr. John Hall, £1 1s. from a friend in Epworth circuit, and £3 14s. at the foundation stone— £100. The old fund, with interest, £45 11s. 4d. Collected by S. Hart,—A. Cunningham, Esq., £25; Glasgow Iron Company, £10 ; D. Y. Stewart, £5 5s. ; H. Tennant, Esq., £5 ; J. and P. Coates, Esqs., £5 ; Sir J. Campbell, £5 ; C. Tennant and Company, £5; R. Dalglisb, Esq., M.P., £5; A. and A. Galbraith, £5; Blochaim Iron Company, £3 3s. ; Arthur and Company, £2 2s. ; J. Broom, Esq., £1 ; M. Bell, Esq., £1 ; A. Gardiner, Esq., £l ; small sums, 15s. — £79 5s. Total amount raised, £224 16s. 4d. The property is secured by a connexional title deed. S. Hart.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 236