Bayston Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Bayston Hill, Shrewsbury Circuit.

Bayston Hill is a pleasant little village about three miles from Shrewsbury. Our people have had regular preaching services at this place, for several years, in brother W. Whitefoot’s house, but the house being too small for the increasing number of hearers, the friends tried to obtain a suitable plot of land on which to erect a chapel, but did not succeed until a few months ago when a man kindly offered to sell us his house and garden. We thought it a very favourable opening, and purchased the whole for £60. Having obtained the sanction of the Quarterly Meeting and the district Building Committee, the foundation stone was laid on Monday, April 1st, 1861, by Mr. George, of Shrewsbury, who, after laying the stone in the name of the Triune God, gave a solemn and interesting address. G. Davies, Esq., of Sutton Villa, also delivered an address on the occasion. The collection amounted to £6 8s- 8½d.

The chapel was opened for divine worship on Sunday, June 30th, 1861, when two sermons were delivered. T. Brocks, Esq., of Copthorne House,  preached in the afternoon, and Mr. George, of Shrewsbury, in the evening. The chapel was crowded each time, and a heavenly influence pervaded the services. On the following day (July 1st) a public tea meeting was held, when about 300 persons sat down to a comfortable repast. After tea a sermon was preached in the open air by Miss Bennett, of Huxley, to a very large congregation. The collections and proceeds of the tea amounted to £18 9s. 3d.

The chapel is neat, plain, and substantial, is built of bricks, and covered with blue slates, is about 30 feet by 20 outside, and 13 feet from the floor to the ceiling, has two Gothic headed windows on each side, and a Gothic headed fanlight over the door ; the floor is boarded, and the front is palisaded. The entire cost, including the house, land, deeds, &c, will be about £180, towards which about £60 have been realized. The trustees hope to have the chapel and premises debtless in a short time. Thanks to all who have helped us in our object. We are happy to say that sinners have .already professed to find the Lord in this sanctuary. May it be the ” House of God and the gate of Heaven ” to many souls, is the earnest prayer of 

Charles Temperton

I can’t find the chapel on old maps.  Where was it and what happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1861 pages 556-557

 

Comments about this page

  • The site in Grove Lane is now covered by modern housing, so the chapel must have been demolished.

    By Mrs Janice Cox (23/10/2018)
  • There are some records in Shropshire Archives which throw some light on this chapel’s history. There is a centenary leaflet issued in 1961, ref: NM4954/9/9; There is a History of Bayston Hill Methodist Church, issued in 1971, ref: NM2045/VI/12/6/1-18; The is also a commemorative booklet on the History of Bayston Hill Congregational and Methodist Churches which united in 1986, ref: 5085/1/2.
    The website “Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels” has a map showing the location of the chapel.

    By Mrs Janice Cox (16/10/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.