Brockton PM Chapel, Lydbury North, Shropshire
More information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.
Brockton Primitive Methodist Chapel, opened in 1870, is a small one room building built in a slightly elevated position between residential dwellings, above the minor road and the large stream opposite. The site chosen could have been to prevent the possibility of flooding. When visited in early 2020, the road to the Chapel was badly flooded. The Chapel is still within the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit, (year- 2020) and there was until the end of 2019 regular worship, with up to forty worshipping, on Sundays. At some time in the past all the pews have been removed which enabled the space available to be used as a community/multi purpose building. A ‘play’ room for the use of local children from the surrounding area has been established but is not used at the time of our visit. It is believed that the land for Brockton Chapel was given by Mr. Thomas Chester. He lived next door to the Chapel, running a shop and bakery.
On the interior wall of the Chapel is a metal plaque. It was transferred from Bishop’s Castle Methodist Church when that building became unsafe. The plaque is in memory of Mr. Thomas Chester who for over 50 years was a Local Preacher. He gave great and loyal service to the Chapel, Circuit and Connexion during his life time. Also honoured is his wife Elizabeth Chester, Sunday School Teacher at Bishop’s Castle Church. In the corner of the plaque is the name W.A. Pugh, another great worker for the Bishop’s Castle Circuit in his life time.
A lovely touch! To greet you at the chapel door were an assortment of boots and wellington boots full of flowers
Information about this chapel can also be found on the Shropshire & Marches Circuit website.