Buttonoak Primitive Methodist chapel

Button Oak BEWDLEY DY12 3AQ

Button Oak is a small hamlet, about three miles from Bewdley, in the county of Salop. For nearly twenty years it has been the scene of Primitive Methodist labours. For some years it was a very flourishing place, and many sinners were converted to God ; but of late our cause has been low, and very few people attended the services.

Mrs. Hamar, a lady who has recently come to reside at Button Oak, was much grieved to see so many people who never attended any place of worship (the parish church is about seven miles distant), and one day last winter the writer called on her, and unsolicited, she offered him a piece of land in a most eligible situation, on which to erect a chapel. The offer was laid before the circuit authorities, who, regarding it as an indication of the will of God, gladly accepted it.”

This is the start of the account by William Gwillim of the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel at Button Oak.  The new chapel  was built of brick and slate and cost £73. Notable donors included Messrs. Lewis, Horton, and Beavan.

Preachers at the opening on October 10th 1862 included Mrs Viner (Norton), and Mr. and Mrs. Gwillim (Kidderminster). The chapel is still marked on Ordnance Survey maps in 1954, although it is difficult to see which building the label relates to.  There is no label on the 1971 map. There is the label “school” close by; was that a Sunday school linked to the chapel?  

Does the chapel still exist?


Primitive Methodist magazine January 1862 page 44-45


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *