Church Stretton PM Chapel, Shropshire

Opened 1906
Keith Guyler, 2000

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

Comments about this page

  • Shrewsbury Chronicle, 20 April 1906, page 6.
    Church Stretton.
    “NEW PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH MEMORIAL STONES LAID.
    The ceremony of laying memorial stones at the new Primitive Methodist Church in Watling Street took place on Monday afternoon … Since 1830 attempt after attempt to secure a site for a church here failed. The site now bing built on is at the junction of Crossways and Watling Street, and contains upwards of 750 square years, and the new church, which is to seat about 250, will cost £1300 … £170 has been raised locally … a church here will save 600 miles travelling every year to the circuit minister, and help him to extend his work. It is hoped later on to erect a manse and Sunday school on the site. The new building is designed by Mr. Scott Deakin, of Shrewsbury, and has a handsome facade. Mr. T. Speak, of Church Stretton is the builder … The memorial stones were laid by Mr. C. Perks (Oswestry), Mr. T. Clare (Ellesmere), Rev. W. Hall for Mr. J. Hamblett, of Malvern, and Miss Hayward, of Church Stretton.”

    —————————–
    Shrewsbury Chronicle, 10 August 1906, page 8.
    Church Stretton.
    “OPENING OF A NEW CHAPEL.
    The new Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened on Monday, in the preence of a large company. It stands in Watling Street, on the estate of the Church Stretton Land Company … The style of the building is English Remaissance, freely treated; the front elevation is of Ruabon pressed brick, and the remainder of Randley brick with dressings of Grinshill stone. The roof is covered with dark red Broseley tiles, and there is a turret of wood with lead covering. The entrance is through a spacious porch with segmental arch and oak doors. The dimensions of the interior are 31 feet by 53 feet 9 inches, and accommodation is afforded for nearly 350 worshippers, in addition to the choir. Internally, the walls are plastered, and the roof is open to the collar beam, with the timbers of plain dark oak visible. The side windows are two and three light alternately, and the design of the west window is very noticeable with its Gothic arch, mullions, and carved transome … Mr. W. Pace of Stretton, performed the the opening ceremony, using a key presented to him by the Rev. W. Hall of Stretton, on behalf of the church. Mr. Pace took a priminent part in the movement for erecting the new chapel. There was a large congregation at the subsequent dedication service, at which the Rev. T. Mitchell, of London, preached. It was announced by Mr. Hall that the amount raised towards the building fund up to August 1st was £292, and they desired to reach £500 before the close of the year.”

    By Janice Cox (06/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.