Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire

Edgerley Chapel was built in 1860 and is still open for worship

Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire
Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire
Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire
Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel Shropshire

There is a small plaque above the door into the chapel in Memory of Richard Walter Edwards, Sunday School Scholar.

This small chapel is in a very rural spot. The landscape here is very flat with houses and farms dotted along the road between Kinnerley and Pentre. The land for the chapel was purchased for £5.00 in 1860. The building cost £199.00 and there  was a debt of £90.00 when the chapel opened.

Edgerley saw a great deal of activity in the 1860s while the railway was being built. Kinnerley junction was only two miles away. The army was also present in Kinnerley where there was a munitions depot. It is thought that many who attended the chapel were workers from both these sites. The chapel was said to have seating for 100 but bearing in mind its size this was perhaps optimistic.

In 1960 the chapel celebrated its centenary by installing electric lighting and heating. This replaced the Calor gas system.

In 1978 there were 9 members. The chapel is still in use in May 2012. Today you can really see that it did sit on the corner of a farmer’s field as it appears to sit in the garden of the house next door. Perhaps this is not exactly the case but that garden does go round two sides of the chapel and the garden of the house on the other side comes right up to the chapel boundary.

 

Photos taken May 2012

OS Map ref:126:SJ359181

Comments about this page

  • The opening of the chapel is recorded by H Wheeler in the Primitive Methodist magazine (April 1861 page 232). Opening services started on December 9th 1860 when the preacher was Rev H Newman of Dudley.

    The new chapel cost £165 of which they had raised over half.

    By Christopher Hill (27/03/2018)
  • The Edgerley Jubilee PM Chapel was on the property sales market in 2016.

    Shropshire Archives:

    Ref. PH/K/5/30 to 37: Black & White interior and exterior photographs of Edgerley PM Chapel, 30th June 1994.

    Ref. ESA8425 (14284): Property Survey for proposed conversion of Edgerley PM Chapel, year 2017, post-code SY4 1BS.

    Ref. XNMA4/B/1/1: Minutes Book, 1878-1888 for Edgerley PM Chapel with names of Trustees. (Amongst the Llanymynech Primitive Methodist Circuit Records, previously Oswestry Primitive Methodist Circuit from 1833.

    Ref. XNMA13:Oswestry Primitive Methodist Circuit Records, e.g., Circuit Plans, etc.  – other documents for Chapels in Circuit.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (27/03/2018)
  • The laying of two foundation stones  on October 10th 1860 at the chapel is recorded by H Wheeler in the 1860 Primitive Methodist magazine (December page 743).

    The first stone was laid by W. Rogers, of Kynaston, and the second by T. Jones, of Sandford. Addresses were given by Messrs. J. Grindley, S. Ward.  The land was given by Mr. James Candlin, of Shrewsbury, a member of the Established Church, and the builder was Mr. Jones (Knockin).

    By Christopher Hill (13/02/2018)
  • A picture of this chapel taken circa 2003 can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

    By Geoff Dickinson (13/12/2013)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone