Finger Road PM Chapel, Dawley, Shropshire

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

Comments about this page

  • The chapel closed in 1976 and was demolished the following year to facilitate a road widening scheme.

    By Andy Rose (28/04/2021)
  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 24 January 1863, page 3.
    “FINGER LANE.
    PRIMITIVE METHODIST NEW CHAPEL. The first sermons were preached on Sunday last by Miss Mary Lowe, of Trench, who delivered three excellent discourses. Collections were afterwards made in aid of the trust fund.”
    —————————–
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 18 April 1863, page 3.
    “DAWLEY.
    OPENING SERICES. The concluding services in connection with the opening of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Finger-lane, were held on Sunday and Monday last. The Rev. H. Higginson, of Dudley, preached to crowded congregations in the morning and evening on Sunday. On the following evening Mr. R. R Pearce also preached to a large congregation. In the afternoon of Sunday in the congregation there were ministers and local preachers of most of the dissenting denominations. Mr. G Franks, of Madeley, preached on Sunday evening in the open air to those who could not get admission to the chapel. The collections made at the services were £11 5s. 7d., but there still remains a large debt on the building.”
    —————————–
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 27 June 1863, page 3.
    “DAWLEY.
    FINGER-LANe NEW CHAPEL. Special services were held in the Primitive Methodist New Chapel, Finger-lane, on Sunday last, and collections made to aid the trust funds. Mr. F. Holder, of St. George’s, preached in the morning and evening, and the Rev. J. Porter, circuit minister, in the afternoon. The congregation was very large in the evening, but in the former part of the day very few attended. The collections were moderate.”
    —————————
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 8 August 1863, page 2.
    “DAWLEY.
    TEA MEETING. On Monday last the first tea meeting was held at the new Primitive Methodist Chapel, Finger-lane. About 250 were present on the occasion … After tea Mr. W. Wilkinson was voted to the chair, and Messrs. J. Oakley, W. Franks, C. North, and the Rev. M. Nicholas afterwards addressed the meeting at some length.”
    —————————
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 22 August 1863, page 3.
    “DAWLEY.
    OPENING OF A SUNDAY SCHOOL AT FINGERLANE. On Sunday last three sermons were preached in the New Primitive Methodist Chapel, Finger-lane, Dawley, after which collections were made, amounting to £5 18s. 3d., towards the opening of a Sabbath School in that place of worship. Mr. John Leath, of Tipton, preached in the morning and evening, and the Rev. Lot Saxton, New Connexion minister, of Dawley, in the afternoon. The services were well attended, and the children and choir, under the superintendence of Mr. J. Tennant, sang suitable hymns. Messrs. R. Harding and T. Hodnett are to be the superintendents of the school.”
    ————————

    By Janice Cox (15/01/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this