The 1839 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by John Graham and Thomas Nash of the opening of Heyton’s (sic) Bent Primitive Methodist chapel. Along with Messrs Rich, Burgess & Miss Woodhouse, they were the preachers at the opening events.
The village was first missioned in 1835. The land was offered by Mr. Hardwick who also gave the stone and a lot of labour.
The chapel was opened on August 12th, 1838. It was in the Ludlow circuit.
The 1877 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at what it calls Hayton’s Rent in the Peaton Strand circuit.
The Primitive Methodist chapel is located on the road to Upper Hayton – a very isolated building, on the only scrap of land available, right against the roadside. Google Street View in 2009 shows it in poor condition but recognisable as a chapel.
Has the building survived?
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1839 page 12
Primitive Methodist magazine 1877 page 755