Lockley Wood Primitive Methodist chapel
In the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine, T Bramall tells us ab out the opening of Lockley Wood Primitive Methodist chapel in the Market Drayton circuit. Ordnance Survey maps for 1881 and 1902 show a Primitive MEthodist chapel on the A 529, just south of the junction with Lockley Wood/Marl Pit Lane. Street View in 2015 shows housing on the site. Was one of them the former chapel?
“Opening of Lockley Wood Chapel, Market Drayton Branch. — About eighteen months ago our people from Market Drayton commenced preaching at the above place. The friends took a cottage upon rent, which was set apart for divine worship. It has pleased the Lord to bless and own our labours in that cottage, and now we have a society of 15 members and one local preacher.
On the 18th of last July Mr. Jackson of Lockley Wood sold us about 132 yards of land for £5, on which we have built a neat little chapel 24 feet by 21. It is 12 feet high to the square, and has eight rising pews.
On December 27th the chapel was opened for divine service, when the writer preached in the morning, and Mr. J. Walford, of Hadnall, in the afternoon and at night. The collections for the day amounted to £7 5s. The friends have drawn all the materials for the chapel free of expense. It will cost, when completed, about £75, towards which the trustees expect to raise at least one third. T. Bramall.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 239