Morda PM Chapel Shropshire

This chapel was built in 1871

This is a tiny brick built chapel with a prefabricated type building to the side. This has had a brick built façade added to match the chapel. It was probably used as a school room.  In 2014 the chapel is still open for worship.

Photos taken December 2014

OS Map Ref:126:SJ288277


Further information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.


Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

Comments about this page

  • The chapel has now closed & was put up for auction. Information from local estate agents. 2021

    By Janice Cox (09/09/2021)
    The corner stones of this chapel were laid on Thursday, September 21st. The service was opened by the Rev. J. Timmins giving out a hymn commencing ‘And will the great eternal God on earth establish His abode’, and offering up prayer, after which the Rev. T. Gasquoine gave out the 108th hymn. Mrs. Doughty, of Oswestry, then laid the first stone, and placed upon it £5 and Mr S. Doughty, brother of the late Mr Doughty, placed another £5 on the same stone. The second stone was laid by Miss Bennett, of Huxley, who placed £5 upon it. Mr. S. Ward, The Wood, laid the third stone and placed £6 upon it, a sum which was increased to £9 by other contributions. Mr J. Evans, of Chirk, laid the fourth stone and put £5 upon it. The Rev. J. Timmins then delivered a suitable address, afterwards a number of persons laid bricks, upon which donations were placed. A tea was provided in a large room kindly lent for the occasion, and upwards of 300 persons partook of the repast. A public meeting was held in the evening, over which Mr J. Evans, of Chirk, presided, and addresses were delivered by Mr J. Morry, Miss Bennett, and the Rev. J. Timmins. Mr Timmins referred to the kindness of the late Mr Peate, who, just before his death, had sold them the piece of land on which to build the chapel. Votes of thanks were given to the friends, and this very successful service was brought to a close. The receipts for the day amounted to the liberal sum of £60.”
    CAMBRIAN NEWS, 26 January 1872, page 2.
    This place of worship was opened for divine service on Sunday, January 21st, when three sermons were preached, those in the morning and evening by the Rev. J. Timmins, and that in the afternoon by the Rev. T. Gasquoine, B.A. The congregations in the morning and afternoon were very large, and at night many could not get inside the chapel. The collections exceeded the most sanguine expectations.”

    By Janice Cox (08/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.