Moston Primitive Methodist chapel

Moston Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alison Shepherd, August 2021
Moston Primitive Methodist chapel

The former Moston Primitive Methodist chapel is another of those chapels miles from anywhere and you wonder where the congregation came from..  Build of stone to a Gothic design, it has been converted to residential use and the original stone tablets erased.

It is located a little way south of the hamlet itself.

The opening is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1886. The society had worshipped in a cottage for 40 years before construction.  Viscount Hill of Hawkstone generously gave the land and the stone for the building.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1886 page 187

Comments about this page

  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 3 October 1885, page 8.
    “STANTON-ON-HINE-HEATH. [for funds for Moston P.M. chapel]
    LECTURE AND SERMON. At the National School, on Friday the 25th inst. [ie. September], the Rev. J. Leach, of Swinefelt, gave his popular lecture, subject, ‘A Big Loaf for Every Man’ … The proceeds of the lecture are for the new Primitive Methodist Chapel at Moston. On Sunday, Mr. Leach preached able sermons at Ellerdine in the morning, Moston in the afternoon, and Hopton at night, when liberal collections were taken in aid of the same objact.”

    By Janice Cox (04/03/2021)
  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 8 August 1885, page 7.
    “MOSTON
    LAYING THE MEMORIAL STONES OF A NEW PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL AND SABBATH SCHOOL.
    For about 50 years the Primitive Methodists have held religious services at Besford, Besford Wood, Paper Mill, Lee Bridge, Booley and Moston. The want of suitable accommodation has long been felt by the people living in this neighbourhood. In compliance with their earnest wish, Viscount Hill of Hawkstone, very kindly gave a freehold site, and also stone with which to build a chapel at Moston, this being a central position for the places named. The following were appointed trustees:- John Lewis, Robert Cartwright (since deceased), John Barnett, Edwin Whittingham, Jesse Weston, George Abbotts, Edwin Lewis, George Owen, Thomas Jones, Thomas Williams, Thomas Pardoe, Thomas Harris, William Adams, and William Shotton … Mr. J. H. Pickard, of Whitchurh, was apponted architect. Tenders were asked for, and that of Mr. R. Powell, of Prees, for the sum of £433 10s. being the lowest, was accepted. The chapel will be in the Gothic style, and will accommodate 130 adults with schoolroom to seat 30 children, and which will open into the chapel when needed. Wednesday July 29th, was a red-letter day in the history of the denomination at Moston. The proceedings commenced at 2-15, when the Rev. J. Biggs, superintendent minister, gave out the hymn … After which the Rev. W. Thornley, of Accrington read the 84th Psalm. The Rev. J. Quarmby, of Wem, offered a very earnest prayer, after which the Rev. J. E. Sawday, of Prees, gave another hymn, the then the Rev. James Travis, of Chester, gave a powerful address on the history and polity of the Connexion … The collection was then made, after which … Mrs Cartwright, of Booley, [laid] the first stone .. placed upon the stone £10; The second stone was laid by Mr. James Hamer, of the Hazels, who also gave £10. Mr. J. Weston’s son laid a third stone for Mr. C. Owen, of Oakengates, and placed upon it £2 2s.; also one for Mr. S. Larkinson, of Wolverhampton, who had sent £1 1s. The Prees Green, Prees, Butler’w Bank, and Hopton Sunday Schools had sent donations amounting to £5 2s. 10½d., which was laid upon a stone in the schoolroom by Mr. S. Adams, of Prees, he being the oldest superintendent in the circuit. Stones were laid and various sums placed upon them … Total sum placed upon stones £46 6s. 4½d. collections £9 12s. 6d. Tea was provided in a large tent kindly lent by Viscount Hill, to which over 500 sat down. Tea being over, a large and enthusiastic meeting was held in the open air … Total sum raised, about £170. Hearty votes of thanks brought this very successful gathering to a close.”

    By Janice Cox (09/11/2020)
  • Thanks for the perspective Alison. It’s easy to overlook how rapidly things change over time.

    By Christopher Hill (14/10/2020)
  • Moston Chapel, on the Papermill Bank, Stanton upon Hine Heath, may seem miles from anywhere now, but this perception might not have been the same in the early 1880’s when it was built. A dispersed agricultural population lived on farms and small holdings with clusters in hamlets and villages. North Shropshire was a stronghold of Primitive Methodism with a good network of chapels. Large estates predominated, locally Hawkestone, where Viscount Hill was more sympathetic to the evangelical cause than some of his fellow landowners, and Acton Reynald required plenty of labour of all kinds. The stone quarries at Grinshill, some three miles away were also working at their peak, generating direct and indirect employment, as well as a level of support for the Primitive Methodist cause.
    The 1867 registration records both a chapel at Moston and ‘Ralphs Meeting House’ at Besford Wood, which would have been less than a mile away.
    https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/content/chapels/help-us/registration-1867-registrar-generals-list-of-places-for-public-religious-worship/shropshire

    Janice Cox has more information and photographs of this chapel on her website http://www.users.waitrose.com/~coxfamily/moston.htm

    By Alison Shepherd (08/10/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.