Ludlow; Old Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
This chapel was erected in 1870 and seated 400 people.
This brick built chapel was closed in the late 1950s and for some time after closure it became a factory making trousers. In March 2014 it is being used by Draycott & Charles Interiors.
Photos taken March 2014.
OS Map ref:137:SO513746
Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.
Editor’s note (CH):
The opening of the chapel is recorded by Charles Temperton in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1871 page 566. The foundation stone was laid on August 10th 1870 and the chapel opened on Sunday April 16th 1871. Preachers were Revs R Key and C Temperton. It was describes as measuring 65′(l) x 36′(w) x 24′(h) and having a frontage of 350 square yards. There was a school room and two small rooms under the chapel.