Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire
This chapel was built in 1898
The first chapel on this site was built in 1840 .It was called ‘Ebenezer’. The foundation stone for the present large Victorian red brick building was laid on 16th June 1898 and the chapel was opened in 1899. It sits on the corner of Chapel Street and Castle Street. It has had various extensions added to the side and in 2014 remains open as Oswestry Methodist Church.
Photos taken December 2014
OS Map Ref:126:SJ290299
Further information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.
Note added Sept 2017 by CH
The Primitive Methodist magazine contains two accounts by R Ward and R Carter of the initial opening of Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel on 20th December 1840. They are transcribed in the attached documents.
The new chapel which measured 14 yards square by 6 yards high, had 20 pews seating 100 people. There was a double entrance, 2 fire-places and 7 windows. Built of brick with columns and cornices of Roman cement, it was lit by gas.
The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1875 shows it as on the same site as the chapel in these pictures. The 1901 map shows it as enlarged and a more complex shape than the original square footprint.
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1841 pages 171-174