Prees Green PM Chapel
The first PM chapel in Prees Green was built in 1843.
The earlier chapel was replaced by the present brick built one in 1933. Is this too late to be called a Primitive Methodist Chapel?
The graveyard surrounding the chapel is interesting. It has an 1833 burial. The inscription on it reads ‘In Loving Memory of Mary Alice beloved wife of Herbert Bowden of Wytheford Hall Shawbury who died Oct.3rd 1833 aged 48 years, also, In Loving Memory of Mary Lucy the dearly beloved daughter of the above who died suddenly in this chapel during service on Oct.5th 1941 aged 20 years’.
There is something very wrong with this inscription. Dates? Relationship of the two people buried here? Was this graveyard here before the chapel was built bearing in mind that the earlier chapel was built on a different site?
Photos taken July 2013
OS Map Ref:126:SJ562317
Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.