Stretton Westwood PM Chapel, Shropshire

Keith Guyler, 2000

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

Comments about this page

  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 4 May 1878, page 8.
    “WESTWOOD. LAYING THE FOUNDATION OF A NEW CHAPEL. The inhabitants of Westwood and Presthope have for some time felt the need of a place for Divine worship. During the last few years a meeting has been held in the most convenient house they could get. At length, by the kindness and liberality of Lord Forester, a plot of ground has been appropriated for religious purposes near Westwood gate. On Wednesday, the 24th ult., at three p.m. the fondation stones were laid of what will doubtless be a useful and substantial structure, consisting chiefly of blocks of stone from the adjoining rock with brick dressings. It is to accommodate about 100. Rev. Mr. Smith, of Dawley, superintendent preacher, delivered a suitable and effective address. Foundation stones were laid by Mr. Thomas Clare, Presthope; Mrs. Green, Westwood; Miss Nicklin, Wenlock; and Mrs. Cocks, Broseley. The sum of £21 8s. 9d. was realised by the collection made on the ground. The services of the chapel are to be conducted by honorary lay ministers.”
    —————-
    Victoria County HIstory of Shropshire, volume X, p. 444.
    The chapel closed c. 1973, and its sale was authorised by the Methodist Church on 22 May 1974.
    —————-

    By Janice Cox (13/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.