Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire

This chapel was erected in 1877 and worship continues in 2013

Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire
Vron Gate P M Chapel Shropshire

Flowers outside the front of the chapel indicate it is being lovingly cared for.

Photos taken July 2013

OS Map ref:126:SJ328098

Comments about this page

  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 30 June 1877, page 5.
    “VENNINGTON [a short distance to the east of Vron Gate].
    NEW CHAPEL. The ceremony of laying the memorial stones of a new chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists took place here on Thursday last. After devotional exercises, an address was given by Rev. W. S. Howlett. The corner stones were laid by Mrs. Siddaway, Mrs. Howlett, Miss Gittins, and the Misses Evans. Bricks were also laid by a number of friends. The amount deposited on the stones andbricks was £20.”
    ——————-

    SHREWSBURY CHRONICLE 16 April 1897, page 7.
    “An application was received from Ministerley [sic] quarterly meeting asking permission to sell the Vron Gate chapel, which was of no use. The mortgagee had called up his money and interest to the amount of £110. It was decided to appoint a deputation to confer with the Minsterly minister and circuit steward and report.”
    ————————–

    Instead of selling the chapel, they borrowed £100 from the Oddfellows Lodge and kept going!. The chapel is still in use today.

    By Janice Cox (14/11/2020)
  • Another picture of this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels. Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

    By Geoff Dickinson (17/12/2013)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *