Wellington Primitive Methodist Chapel
Account of the re-opening from the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838
(Wrockwardine Wood circuit.)
This chapel was erected in the year 1835; at which period the society in this town was in its infancy, and the circuit committee and others, thought it would not be prudent to build too large a chapel, from a fear of the numerous evils usually attendant on speculative proceedings. The trustees, however, adventured to go about fifty pounds beyond what the committee advised.
In about a year and a half, the congregation had so increased as to show that an enlargement was necessary. And, after mature deliberation on the part of the trustees, circuit committee, &c., the enlargement was concluded upon, the plans drawn, the specifications printed, and the work let to a Mr. Page, an undertaker. He commenced in March 1837, and completed it in June following, to the satisfaction of all the parties concerned.
It was re-opened for divine worship on Sundays, June 25, and July 2, 1837; on which occasion, Mr. James Bourne — Miss Morris — Mr. Palmer, Wesleyan — Rev. T. James, Independent — and Mr. R. Jukes, officiated.
The whole of the expenses connected with the enlarging and improving this place of worship, including security for money &c., &c., amounted to two hundred and sixty pounds; towards which, sixty-five pounds have been raised.
Our prospects are good, and the society is increasing. To God be all the glory. Amen.
(Approved by the Circuit Committee.)
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838. Page 54.