Frome Primitive Methodist chapel
Sun Street, Frome BA11 3DA
Originally opened in 1834, Sun Street chapel closed in 1982.
There’s an account by WT of its opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Opening services took place on 14th and 19th of October 1834 when the preachers were Revs S Curwen and W Jones, together with Samuel West, Mr Foizey & Mr Moody. Services at opening took place simultaneously in the new chapel and in the Calvinist chapel – and both were full.
The return from Frome Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by the minister, Joseph Preston, of Chapel Street. He reports that the chapel which held 480 people had attendances morning, afternoon and evening of 182, 269 and 390. The Sunday school met morning and afternoon, with 125 scholars each time.
It is shown on Google Street View in 2011 still in use as Frome Gospel Hall, but in January 2014 the Frome Standard local newspaper carried an article headed “Launch of an appeal to save a Frome chapel”. There was a supporting Facebook page.
Reference: http://www.fromestandard.co.uk/Launch-appeal-save-Frome-chapel/story-20440434-detail/story.html accessed January 5th 2015
Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.312