Leigh upon Mendip Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1835 and the return from the chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship tells us that it accommodated 96 people, mostly in free seats. The return was completed by Thomas Padfield, a class leader.
On Census Sunday 54 and 88 people attended afternoon and evening services respectively. There was a Sunday School with 24 scholars in both morning and afternoon.
The chapel was later converted into a house.