The history of Redfield Road Chapel started in 1840 in a small cottage in Church Lane owned by James Jones, the first class leader. In the same cottage lived John Hoare who joined the Society in 1845 and, in 1849, became one of the first local preachers in the Radstock Primitive Methodist Circuit of which Redfield Road was a part. Preaching services as well as class meetings were then held in James Jones’ cottage.
In 1875, the trustees purchased 363 square yards of land in Redfield Road on which to build a chapel. On May the 18th 1876, Mr Catley’s tender of £695 was accepted and an architect named Hicks was asked to draw up plans; then, on June the 16th, the foundation stone was laid and provision made for 600 people to have tea in the Market Hall. The church was finally completed in 1877 and special opening ceremonies were held on three successive Sundays between February the 27th and March the 12th
The church was demolished in 1997 for housing development.
You can see the report by James Jones to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship here
This information and picture comes from a booklet celebrating 150 years of Midsomer Norton Methodist Church by Norman Voake. It is included by permission of Midsomer Norton Methodist Church which holds the copyright through the Minister (Revd Stephen Robinson).