In the early years of the 20th century The Primitive Methodists at Welton decided to build a Mission Chapel at Stones Cross, nearer to the centre of the town of Midsomer Norton. However , rather than being a Mission from the Welton Society the members decided to form a new Trust and Society at Stones Cross.
The Society flourished for many years but due to a decline in membership it was decided to close in 1963, in a period during which most of the local collieries had also closed.
For some years then the premises were used as a Methodist Youth Club until in 1973 the cost of maintenance was becoming prohibitive. The Youth Club then moved to the High Street Methodist Church (formerly Wesleyan) premises in the town centre.
Stones Cross Chapel was subsequently purchased by the Salvation Army and is currently used by them. This replaced their premises in the town centre at Rackvernal Road , which had been the original Methodist Chapel and built in 1775.
With acknowledgements to Midsomer Norton Methodist Church for the text. Revd Stephen Robinson