Twerton Primitive Methodist chapel
“Twerton, Bath Circuit.— The opening services of our new chapel here took place on September 23rd, 27th, and 28th, 1846, The officiating ministers were the Revs. Messrs. Davison, (Wesleyan.) Owen, (Countess of Huntingdon,) Grigg, (Primitive Methodist,) and Daniel, (Baptist.) The congregations assembled on the occasion listened with much interest to the different preachers, whose leading topics were the following : the nature and excellency of the knowledge of Christ ; the subject of the gospel ministry ; the privileges of God’s people ; the joy felt by angels at the conversion of a sinner ; the danger of procrastinating the surrender of the heart to God, and the final triumph of the kingdom of Christ. A
holy unction attended the word delivered, and we were glad to witness the flowing of penitential tears and the resounding of praises to God uttered by many warm-hearted worshippers. The congregations were large and the collections liberal.
The chapel is 25 feet by 20 within, and 14½ feet high from the floor to the ceiling : it is well situated for a congregation, and is connexionally conveyed to trustees.
We tender our thanks to all who have favoured us with donations, to those who have hauled materials for the building, and to all who have, in any way, assisted us in our work. That this house of God may be the spiritual birth-place of many souls, is the prayer of Robert Tuffin.”
Where was this chapel and what happened to it? Thanks to Jeff Parsons for locating it – see comment.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1846 page 691