The laying of the foundation stone at and the opening of Welton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Radstock circuit is described by WH Wills in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine. Welton had a population of 600-700 people and a small Prim society met regularly in a cottage. Eventually they leased a site from the Prince of Wales for 90 years at a nominal charge. J Lambert was awarded the contract as builder.
They planned to use the new chapel as a Sunday school.
The stone was laid by Rev R Hartley of Bristol on Tuesday October 5th 1858. Under it was a bottle containing names of the donor, trustees and ministers amongst other things. After tea for 300 in a marquee, there were addresses from J Lambert, H Bennett and J Charlton.
The chapel was opened on March 6th 1859. Opening preachers were Rev Ramsden (Frome), Rev C Willis (Wesleyan), E Foizey (frome) and Rev T Davies (Baptist). There was a further tea meeting for 158.
The total cost was £164; to meet this they borrowed £100 on two IOUs. John Wesley Hall gave the glass.
In Ordnance Survey maps from 1886, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown north of the junction of West Road (Milk Street at the time) with Station Road, behind the houses that fronted the roads. By the 1957-8 map the building has been extended to reach the road, houses having been demolished. On Google Street View in 2016 this extension (bearing the date 1935) is in use as a house.
You can read more about the history of the society in Welton on the Midsomer Norton Methodist Church website here .
Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 p.44
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1859 p.367