Blackheath Primitive Methodist chapel
The Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 contains an account by T Batty of the recent opening of three Primitive Methodist chapels – at Blackheath, Cinder Hill and Netherton. “The mining district of South Staffordshire has proved a fruitful soil for Primitive Methodism. (The area includes) Dudley … with more than forty Primitive Methodist chapels within six miles of her lofty castle.”
The foundation stone for Blackheath Primitive Methodist chapel was laid in August 1851. The chapel was opened in November and the society “increased six-fold”. The chapel was 33’ x 30’ and 22’ from floor to ceiling. The trustees owed £250 to a mortgage and a note of hand, but the subscriptions and donations had not come up to one third of the expenditure.
Mr S Darbey was singled out for particular thanks. Fittingly, the current Blackheath Central Methodist Church is at the junction of High Street and Darby Street.
The 1851 chapel was replaced in 1903 and that was replaced by the current church – all on the same site. In turn the 1903 building was replaced by a smaller building in 2002. A picture of the 2002 building can be seen by following this link.
Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 p52