Brettell-Lane Primitive Methodist chapel
In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1856, Joseph Grieves describes Brettell-Lane as a populous neighbourhood, about a mile from Brierley-hill where for some years there had been a small Primitive Methodist society which met in a house. Building a chapel was made possible by Mr. Devonport, of Cradley Heathwho bought two houses and a well-placed plot of land part of which he sold to the society “at a moderate price.”
On June 22 1856 Brettell-Lane Primitive Methodist chapel opened. At the opening services and tea meeting, large congregations were addressed by Mr. J. Lawley, of Lichfield circuit, Mr. W. Pearson, of Brockmoor, Mr. W. Sanderson, of Scotter circuit, and Mr. Meek, of Moxley.
Mr. S. Bennett, the architect, designed a “beautiful and substantial building of red and blue bricks”, very tastefully arranged; 35 feet by 27 feet, and 22 feet to the ceiling; with best Bangor duchess slates; .. well lighted and ventilated, and the whole of the floor laid with boards, a gallery at one end, and a beautiful clock. It seated around 200 people and cost £303 15s. They intended to add a Sunday School behind the chapel when funds allowed.
Although the area has been redeveloped by 1938, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1894-5 and 1919, at Silver Lane where Crescent Avenue is now located (DY5).
Primitive Methodist magazine September p.552