Cannockwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Chestall Road, Cannock Wood WS15 4RE

The opening of Cannockwood Primitive Methodist chapel is described by John Lawley in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine. Cannockwood at the time was a scattered hamlet with early Prim links – Hugh Bourne preached here (converting Sampson Turner in the process) and on Cannock Chase there is a mound called Clowes Pulpit where he is said to have preached.

Society membership fluctuated. In 1855 it was 7 but in 1858 it was 20. A chapel site was obtained from Mr Hackwood and a 24′ x 18′ chapel was built at a cost of £95 – £100 of which they would raise £50. However the editor of the magazine was concerned because all the seats were free – how would they pay off the outstanding debt, the interest due and expenses?

The opening sermons from January 24th  1858 were delivered by Mrs Colley of Madeley, and Rev J Britain of West Bromwich.

The chapel is marked on the 1884 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map just south of the junction of Chestall Road with Holly HIll Road.  By the 1902 map it has disappeared.


Primitive Methodist magazine April 1858 p.239


Comments about this page

  • I think the resolution here is that the 1884 OS map shows two Methodist chapels in Cannock Wood – the Primitive Methodist one, just south of the junction of Chestall Road with Holly Hill Road (shown on the map here) and the Wesleyan one located by Avril in Chapel Lane. The Primitive chapel disappears (there are bungalows on the site in 2012) but the Wesleyan chapel is still active in 2021 as Cannock Wood Methodist Church.

    By Christopher Hill (24/08/2021)
  • The original map had an error. The Chapel is off Holly Hill Road but further down past Park Gate Road on the same side just into Chapel Lane. The other end of Chapel Lane comes out onto Cumberledge Hill which is a continuation of Chestall Road. All shown clearly on the current maps.

    By Avril Green (23/08/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.