Darlaston Primitive Methodist Chapel (ii) 1836
Second chapel Bell Street 1836
The first mission to Darlaston was in 1819 with Mr Samson Turner preaching in the open air. The first Primitive Methodist chapel was in Willenhall Street, between Stafford Road and Rough Hay Road. This was replaced in 1836 by a larger chapel, seating 700, in Bell Street.
The Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1854 contains an account by J Morton of the re-opening of Darlaston Primitive Methodist chapel in 1854. They had spent £220 on improvements “to prevent an unpleasant and dangerous draught of cold air”. The opening on September 17th 1854 witnessed sermons by Rev T Holliday of London and Mr Tyrer on Wolverhampton. The following week Rev S Saunders of Newcastle and M’Master of Walsall preached sermons with great acceptance and power.
In 1880 the chapel was “considerably altered and improved”, including the installation of a “splendid new organ. The improvements cost £1,900 of which they had raised £1,100
The church would have continued in Bell Street but in 1908 there was an underground coal fire which caused structural damage. The building had to be demolished as it became unsafe. This lead to the building of the Slater Street chapel.
In the Staffordshire Record Office, Raymond Ella has found evidence of the fire:
- Ref. D1230/BOX49?/1: Fire in the foundations of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bell Street, Darlaston, 1908/9. Includes plan of Chapel and newspaper cutting.
- Ref. CH47 & D3504/1/1-2: Darlaston Primitive Methodist Circuit. General Administration. 2 Circuit Plans. Primitive Methodist Preaching Plan 19th century.
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1854 p. 747
Primitive Methodist magazine 1880 page 124