Foxt Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffs


Foxt PM Chapel from a glass slide in the collection at Englesea Brook Museum, c.1915-35.
Site of former Foxt Chapel, 2014
Jane Richardson
Plaque marking the site, placed here by the Foxt 2000 Club
Jane Richardson
Foxt Primitive Methodist chapel
Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection
Foxt Chapel of Ease and later Parish Church which was used as a Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1902/98

Opened in 1859, the chapel was in the Cheadle PM circuit.

It was demolished in 1970, but the site of the chapel, on the northern edge of the village, is marked by a plaque donated and thoughtfully placed by the Foxt 2000 Club.

The Christian Messenger has the remarkable story of Foxt Chapel of Ease built by the Rev. John Sneyd, M.A., of Ashcombe Hall.  It has the unique history of having been used for some time as a Primitive Methodist Chapel. “Owing to a disagreement with the Anglicans this sacred building was lent by the owners to the Foxt Primitive Methodist Society for the nominal rental of one shilling per year. In the more demonstrative days of the so-called “good old times” many a stirring prayer meeting has been held, and sinners converted therein. Several numerously-attend quarterly meetings of the old Ramsor Circuit, and also of the Cheadle Circuit, have been held within its walls. In the adjoining burial ground the annual camp meetings were regularly held. Owing to the increasing working expenses, and the financial difficulty in keeping the fabric in repair, the Foxt Society relinquished it”


Christian Messenger 1902/98


Comments about this page

  • The opening of Foxt chapel in the Ramsor circuit is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine (December 1859 page 742) by J Thomas. The foundation stone was laid on June 13th 1859 by T Ball of Foxt; preachers were W Plant, T Kent and Rev T Chambers. The opening itself dates from 18th September. Opening preachers were Mr Gilbert (Hilderstone, Wesleyan), Mr Chambers and J Thomas.

    The new chapel measured 27′ x 18′ and was 14′ high. Brick built, with a boarded floor, it cost £100 of which they expected to raise £60 with a debt of £40. There were tea meetings at the stone laying and the opening, when it rained heavily all afternoon.

    By Christopher Hill (23/11/2017)
  • This page has been updated thanks to information and images provided by Jane Richardson, September 2014. 

    By Jill Barber (23/09/2014)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.