Gold's Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Darlaston circuit

The Primitive Methodist magazine contains a number of accounts of the development of Gold’s Green Primitive Methodist chapel.

The magazine of January 1842 contains an article by R Jukes celebrating the opening (although it  reads more like the re-opening) of Gold’s Green Primitive Methodist chapel in West Bromwich.

We have put two side galleries in our chapel at Gold’s Green, and have built a new school room, about eleven yards by nine, with a boarded floor.  Bros. T. Holliday and J. Moss preached the opening sermons, May 3, 1841.

In the 1847 magazine W Solomons & J Talbot tell us of the re-oopening of the chapel on August 22nd 1847 after further work.

The magazine for January 1854 contains a further article by J Perks recording the chapel’s re-opening on November 27th 1853 with sermons by J.H. Beevers of Derby and H. Collier of Gold’s Green.  The plan also included the intention to license the chapel for solemnising marriages.

The 1854 article doesn’t mention the original opening date; county records include baptismal records from 1844 until 1967.

Gold’s Hill Methodist chapel was on Harvill’s Hawthorn (B70 0UD) and the building still exists as the Triumphant Church of God.  Was that the Primitive Methodist chapel?


Primitive Methodist magazine January 1842 page 20

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1847  page 744

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1854 page 51


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.