Hill Top Primitive Methodist chapel
In the 1863 Primitive Methodist magazine, M. Nicholas describes the opening of Hill Top Primitive Methodist chapel in the West Bromwich (Westbromwich) circuit. Where was this chapel and what happened to it?
“Hill Top, Westbromwich Circuit.— The opening services of the new chapel here, were held on Lord’s days, Oct. 26th, and Nov. 9th, when excellent sermons were preached by the Revs. J. Morton, Wesleyan, Leeds, W. Antliff, of London, R. Jukes, of West Bromwich, and Mr. Wm. Rigby, of Wednesbury. Much Divine influence was felt on each occasion, and lasting good was done.
The total amount collected reached the noble sum of £53 11s. 8d. The chapel is a substantial brick building, about 31 feet long, 33 feet wide, and 31 feet from the floor to the ceiling— being quite high enough for a gallery. It has 5 windows in front, and 6 on each side, with vestry and orchestra, also a platform and communion rails ; there are 16 pews, and the remaining seats are free, there being accommodation for about 250 persons.
There is palisading with gates in front, and at the back ground to erect a school upon. The entire cost will be about £480, including £50 for ground, towards which we have raised about £180, and we are determined, God helping, to put all our energies, to work, so that the chapel may soon be free from debt. M. Nicholas.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 303