Leek Primitive Methodist chapel
Leek Primitive Methodist chapel re-opened on November 17th 1861. Joseph Sutcliffe contributed an article to the Primitive Methodist magazine about it.
“Leek.—Dear Editor,—The year 1861 will be memorable to the friends of Primitive Methodism in this locality, as the period when our chapel underwent important alterations for the better accommodation of our increasing congregations, society, and Sabbath school.
For many years the cause of God has been low at this place, and circumstances have concurred to make Zion languish. But amidst all the trials which the cause has had to pass through, some warm-hearted friends have stood by it, and sought to promote its well-being. These friends have frequently contemplated the alteration of our chapel, but they never could see their way clear to commence till about twelve months since, when a gracious revival took place.
The good work continued to progress, and our congregations increasing rapidly, every impediment to the alteration was soon removed, and proper steps were taken for the accomplishment of the object. The entire cost of the alteration, including painting, graining, and varnishing, is about £208, towards which, we have realized, in donations from the trustees, Messrs. Astles, Salt, and Vernon, £10 each ; Messrs. Joshua, Brough and J. Dakin, £5 each ; Mr. H. Johnson, £2 ; Mr. W. Lovatt, 2 guineas ; A number of kind friends have given £1 each, and others have given less sums, the whole amounting to £78.
We held our re -opening services Nov. 17th, and Dec. 1st, 1861, when sermons were preached by Messrs. Walker, G. Bullen, and J. Broad, the Rev. R. Pattinson, of Macclesfield, and the Rev. S. Hooly (Wesleyan). The services were very impressive and powerful, and the congregations large and attentive. The collections amounted, to £12 17s. 5d. The total of money raised is £90 17s. 5d.
We tender our thanks to the Giver of all good, and to our many friends for their aid. We have put a gallery into our chapel, and boarded the floor, which now forms a good schoolroom. Our sanctuary is 43ft by 35ft. inside, and will seat about 700 people. That it may be the birth-place of many souls ia the earnest prayer of the writer. Joseph Sutcliffe.”
The 1879 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Fountain Street next to the Cattle Market Inn. Does it still exist?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1862 pages 243-244