Lower Gornal Primitive Methodist chapel
Lake Street DY3 2AU
The opening of Lower Gornal Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by T Batty in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
“GORNALL chapel is twenty-four feet by twenty-four, and fifteen feet from the floor to the ceiling. There are two dwelling:houses connected with it in the same range, which are expected to be a great benefit to the place if properly managed. This chapel was opened on Sundays, Nov. 7 and 14, 1841, by Brother B. Brown, Miss M. Brown, Mrs. E. Brownhill, and Brother T. Batty. The collections were rather small, owing, in a degree, to the severity of the weather. Several have since joined the society.” transcribed by David Tonks
Ordnance Survey maps from 1882 show a Primitive Methodist chapel at Lake Street, at the corner of Turner Street. The current chapel dates from 1926 and is on the opposite side of the road to the 1841 building.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1842 page 133