New Invention Primitive Methodist chapel
Staffordshire: Lichfield circuit
The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1852 contains an account by WR of the opening of New Invention Primitive Methodist chapel in South Staffordshire (not to be confused with the village with the same name in Shropshire).
A series of opening services concluded on December 28th 1852 with sermons by Rev Jabez Yardley (Wesleyan of Walsall), John Graham of Cwm, and Rev W Rooke, the superintendent.
The chapel was 24′ x 18′ and 12′ high with a boarded floor. It cost £105 and was built on land donated by John Brewer (Wesleyan) of Walsall. The conveyance deed was made gratuitously by Samuel Wilkinson Esq.
Previously meetings had taken place in an iron warehouse.
The 1886 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map shows the Primitive Methodist chapel located at the junction of Lichfield Road and Pooles Lane. Google Street View in 2012 shows a 1898 Primitive Methodist chapel a little further west on Lichfield Road, opposite the turning to Fletcher Road. However, it closed early in 2014 due to rising maintenance costs and an ageing and declining congregation.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1852 p.113