Pelsall Paradise Primitive Methodist chapel
Paradise Lane Pelsall WS3 4NH
The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1854 includes an account by W Rooke of the opening of Pelsall Primitive Methodist chapel. The first sermons were preached on January 15th 1854 by brothers Hutchings, Rooke, Bradburn, Cox and Mrs Rae.
The chapel was 24′ long x 18′ wide and 15′ high to the wall plate. Of prepossessing appearance, it was built of brick and shared a roof with a house built on the same plot.
The Ordnance Survey map of 1884 shows Paradise Primitive Methodist chapel on Paradise Street, close to its junction with Hall Lane. It is still there, labelled as Methodist church, in 1969. Then it disappears. There is no evidence of it on Google Street View in April 2016.
As David Evans points out below, the current Methodist church is an extension of the former Wesleyan chapel which is in Chapel Street.
There is a picture of the Paradise chapel on Walsall Council’s A click in time image library; to see the exterior as it was in the 1960s, click here and the interior as it was at the start of the twentieth century, click here.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1854 p177