Rocester Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire
High Street Rocester ST14 5JU
The High Street chapel in the pictures was built in 1888. It has been closed for some years and is privately owned.
The 1862 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by W Rooke of the laying of the foundation stone of a previous chapel.
“Rocester, Ramsor Circuit.— On Thursday, June 12 (1862), a number of the friends assembled for the purpose of laying the foundation stone of a new chapel here. After the opening of the proceedings by singing and prayer, and the delivery of a short address, Miss Wood, of Beadman’s Green, near Stramshall, laid the foundation stone.
The chapel when finished is designed to accommodate about 130 persons. The building is to be of brick, and will be finished in a neat and substantial manner ; the total cost being estimated at about £200. The lady who took a prominent part in the proceedings, has, in addition to her subscription, presented a handsomely bound Bible, and the cushions and fittings for the pulpit.
It was intended to have tea in a spacious tent, erected for the occasion, in Bottoms Croft ; but the rain prevented. The tea, however, was held in the Infant school, and about 200 sat down. The Rev. W. Stubbs, incumbent, efficiently presided ; and appropriate addresses were given by the ministers of the Ramsor Circuit, and other friends. The Rocester saxe-horn band played a good selection of sacred music during the evening. The net proceeds to the funds, including the collection at the ceremony, will be about £9.” (added CH 04/2020)
In the 1863 magazine he tells us of its opening on September 7th 1862
“One of the first chapels built in the Primitive Methodist Connexion was built at Rocester, in the year 1812 ; and our people worshipped in it for many years ; and much good was done. But unfortunately the chapel was not properly conveyed, and hence it was lost to the Connexion ; and for several years we have been necessitated to hold our services in a private house. But about six months ago land was purchased. Plans and specifications were prepared, and sanction was obtained for building: and a beautiful little chapel has been erected at the west end of this rising village.
The chapel is 27 feet by 21 feet, and 13 feet from the level of the floor to the wall plate. It has four substantial windows, with circular tops, a boarded floor, and elevated pews, and a singers’ pew. The chapel is built of brick and covered with tiles. We have laid in gas, and palisaded the front. The whole cost will be about £20!9, including £38 10s. the price of the land.
The chapel was opened for Divine worship August 17th, by Bro. G. Stansfield of Manchester, and on September 7th, 1862, by Bro. J. Moss, of West Bromwich. The collections at the opening amounted to £141 2s. 2½d. We are grateful to be able to say we have raised by private donations and public collections the noble sum of £81 1s. 7d., and we hope to continue our efforts till we have raised one-half of the whole cost.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1862 page 697
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 110