Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1860
The third chapel
Tunstall Jubilee chapel was built to celebrate fifty years since the opening of the first chapel in Tunstall in 1811.
There is a detailed account taken from the Staffordshire Sentinel of the laying of the foundation stone for the new chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1860. The stone was laid by Mrs Thomas Allen using ”a beautiful silver trowel, made by Mr. Prime, of Birmingham”. The new chapel would hold 1,400 people and replaced a chapel that could hold 1,000.
Ralph Dain (Burslem) was the architect; the contractors were Mr Mullington (Tunstall) and Mr Ford (Kidsgrove)
The opening of the chapel is described by Henry Binnell in the September 1860 magazine. The chapel cost £2,300 of which £900 had been raised. Preachers at the opening included Revs P Pugh, T Guttery, T Greenbury (Hull) and W Jones (Willenhall)
The pictures on this page show the chapel at various stages in its life : it has since been demolished. Unfortunately they are mostly undated so it is hard to see an evolution.
There are more pages about Tunstall PM Chapel on this site. You can find out about its Origins, see more pictures and information about the 1905 refurbishment, and see pictures and memories of some of the people, including the Bible Classes.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1860 page 116-117
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1860 page 512