Uttoxeter Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire

It is recorded that the first Primitive Methodists met in in a house in Hockley (now the southern part of Uttoxeter), and later in a chapel on Carter St.

It is suggested that the chapel was built in 1843, and White’s 1851 Gazetteer of Staffordshire confirmed that in Carter Street was a small Primitive Methodist chapel. Francis Redfern, Uttoxeter’s first historian refers to this as being opposite his house on Carter Street (1885, History and Antiquities of Uttoxeter)- his house is currently the location for Museum of Uttoxeter life. This chapel was enlarged in 1875, and finally used as a rest centre during the 39-45 war, before being finally demolished.

Comments about this page

  • J Stephenson tells us in the Primitive Methodist magazine (September 1847 page 558) about the re-opening of Uttoxeter chapel after cleaning, painting and the addition of a boarded floor. It re-opened on the 18th July 1847.

    By Christopher Hill (08/05/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *