Queen Street West Bromwich
In 1867 they opened a new Sunday school building at Queen Street primitive Methodist church and at the same time renovated the existing chapel: they had been using it for over 20 years. They added £500 to the value of the premises by, amongst other things, building a rostrum and boarding the walls to a height of 5 feet. The work was done by John Granger, one of the local preachers.
The chapel was re-opened on October 13th 1867. Preachers included Mrs Grice, Rev D Evans, (Dudley Baptist). Donors included J Tranter, Mrs Morton, J Silvester, R Bagnall, T Davis and T Cooksey. The ladies ran a bazaar – Mrs Grice, Mrs J Fisher, Mrs Whitehouse, Mrs and Miss Stokes, Miss Hassell, the Mrs Pritchard, F Arkinstall, Banister, James, J Whitehouse, and many more.
James Pritchard tells us about it.
British History online gives a useful summary of the growth of Primitive Methodism in the town. In 1851 there were 8 chapels or meeting places; by the time of Methodist Union in 1932 there were 9 chapels of which Queen Street was one.
Queen Street chapel was at the eastern end of Queen Street, opposite the Theatre Royal. It closed in 1966.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1868 page 177
British History Online accessed 04/03/2020 at: