Willenhall Primitive Methodist chapel
J Broadhurst writes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1855 of the re-opening of Willenhall Primitive Methodist chapel after the installation of a gallery. It cost £271 of which they had raised £106
It re-opened on November 5th 1854; opening sermons were preached by J. Prosser, of Brierley-hill, Dr. Nelson, of Birmingham, J. Petty, of London, and Rev. B. G. Young, Baptist.
There was a tea meeting for 200, with addresses by Revs. J. Morton, W. J. Neeshan, H. Higginson and J Broadhurst.
Where was this chapel? There are several to choose from. The Willenhall through the ages website explains that Primitive Methodism began in Monmer Lane, and then spread to Little London. Chapels were built at Lane Head, New Invention, Russell Street, and Spring Bank. An early Primitive Methodist Chapel stood on Chapel Green, until it was replaced by a larger building in Russell Street, which opened on 23rd March, 1850. The last service was held on 3rd January, 1965. The church joined forces with Walsall Street Methodist Church and Union Street Wesleyan Church to form the New Trinity Methodist Church, in Union Street.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1855 p.112
Willenhall through the ages website accessed March 6th 2017 http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Willenhall/Religion.htm