Thorncliffe Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire

Built in 1839

Thorncliffe Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire
Thorncliffe Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire
Thorncliffe Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staffordshire

Thorncliffe is now in the Staffordshire Moorlands Circuit.

These pictures were taken by Heather Bates, on Sunday morning, 26 August 2012, when her husband Rev’d Jack Bates was preaching there.  

 -x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for May 1854 contains an account by Joseph Hutchings of the re-opening of the chapel on March 12th 1854, with excellent sermons preached by Mr George Bull (Wesleyan).  

Because the chapel had been built on a bank, they had problems with damp so that most of the original pews became rotten.  When they took up the brick floor they found that a spring ran under the bank and they had to contain and drain it before installing a new wooden floor.

They were determined not to increase the outstanding £30 debt in order to carry out the repairs – and they did achieve this in the course of providing “a comfortable and respectable house of prayer.”


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1854 p.308 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone