Beccles Primitive Methodist  chapel

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1837, W Pentney tells us about the opening in the Wangford circuit of six Primitive Methodist chapels and one re-opening in the year following September 1835.

Beccles Primitive Methodist  chapel which measured 23′(w) x 33′(l) x 18′(h) was re-opened on January 22nd 1836. Mr J Smith & W Pentney were the opening preachers.

The society “experienced great kindness from Rev J Holt, vicar of the parish”

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1847, W Sapcoat tells us about the laying of a foundation stone of a new chapel that would measure 36′ x 20′ and cost £150. Mr Sapcoat laid the stone on May 3rd 1847.  It rained a lot.

He also gives us a bit more background: initially they had rented a chapel in Bridge Street, but this was sold and they met in the open air until they rented and “obscurely situated old pipe-shop” which they were using in 1847.

In a later 1847 edition, Mr Sapcoat tells us the brick built chapel , measuring 36′ x 20′, has been completed at a cost of £150; membership increased from 9 to 50 in a year. It opened from September 5th 1847 ; speakers included M Warnes, R Church, GT Goodrick and W Sapcoat.

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1866 W Crown tells us that the society had outgrown their chapel so they added a gallery at one end. Re-opening celebrations started on 24th September 1865; speakers included Misses Hunt and Catchpole (of Beccles), Rev J Sheale, (Bungay) W Crown, B Bell and Miss Gostling.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1837 page 109

Primitive Methodist magazine 1847 page 503

Primitive Methodist magazine 1847 page 693

Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 page 49

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.