“The first preaching place in the town of Harwich was in Church Street; next, services were held in a rented room in George Street, afterwards in Church Lane, and then a small iron chapel was erected near the Masonic Hall. The present Central Church is pleasantly and prominently situated in Dovercourt, adjoining Harwich, and serves well for both places. It was erected in 1895, during the ministry of Rev. John Buck, and is a Gothic structure, seating about three-hundred-and-fifty, with school-room accommodation for two-hundred, and land reserved for class-rooms. The cost was £1,835, of which £1,213 has been raised. “
The opening of the “small iron chapel … erected near the Masonic Hall” was recorded in the 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine . It tells us nothing more.
Christian Messenger 1919/200
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 700