Hopton Primitive Methodist chapel
Nethergate Street Hopton IP22 2QZ
The Hopton Primitive Methodist chapel in Keith Guyler’s photograph was opened in 1885.
A preaching room had previously been registered in 1835. The 1855 Religious Census records Primitive Methodists as meeting in a house for about two years. Attendances were 6 men in the morning, 40 in the fternoon and 19 at night. More men than women attended. The return was completed by Samuel Smith, local preacher.
The 1885 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us they were starting work on a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Hopton to replace their previous meeting places.
It is still open in 2015.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1885 page 636