Ipswich; Clarkson Street
The foundation stones for this former PM chapel were laid in 1874. One was laid by Rev William Rowe, President of Conference that year, and another by Samuel Jarrold, son of the founder of the Norwich publishing firm. The Jarrolds were a well known philanthropic non-conformist family.
The chapel is a substantial Victorian red brick building, and the interior roof is constructed in Suffolk hammer beam style.
Inside is a plaque dedicated to A. E. A. Olding, and another with the inscription
INSTALLATION OF ELECTRIC LIGHT
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
MR. JOHN STONE MR. WALTER COMMONS
MRS. H.E.RAMM MISS A. L. WALTON
WHO WITNESSED BY THEIR LOVE AND MINISTRY
DEVOTION TO JESUS CHRIST
The chapel closed as a place of Methodist worship many years ago, possibly in the 1950s. The pews have been removed and the pipe organ, which stood behind the pulpit was dismantled, and is now installed in a church in Spain.
The building now houses the active Ipswich Community Church.