Thurston Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Road, Thurston, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP31 3RE

Thurston Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1986
A cheerful group standing in front of their chapel, 5 Feb 1989
John Fleming

Thurston is east of Bury St Edmunds.  Thurston Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1872 and seated 40 in the congregation.  It is actually in Thurston Planche, to the south of the main village.

The Bury St Edmunds Methodist Circuit website says that it is still open in 2015 and commends it as a “strong and welcoming” fellowship.

Location: TL 928 643

Comments about this page

  • Actually, the site was purchased outright for the sum of £100 by Reverend Morgan and others of the Primitive Methodist church in 1884.  The church flourished until the Second World War when it was kept alive by one faithful Member.  After the war it enjoyed a resurgence of support up to the end of the millennium.  Finally, by 2016, the congregation had dwindled to the point where services ceased.

    By John Fleming (15/08/2017)
  • This Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1872 within the boundary of the grounds of Planche Hall.  A covenant stated within the Planche Hall deeds restricts the use of the small plot of land benevolently provided to the Methodists for worship.

    Precise measurements of the land are also stated and recorded in an 1884 conveyance held by Planche Hall.      This covenant runs with the property. There is a LR registered shared access off the public Church Road to the Chapel and through, with a recorded path along the side of the Chapel, to Planche Hall private garden.  Planche Hall have not provided any easements e.g. for drains in or under their land. There is no water main or sewage connection to the chapel. 

    By Mrs Freeman (04/08/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.